Monday, November 2, 2009

Giving Filipino Food a Chance

If there's something one needs to know about me, it's that there is no way one can consider me a Filipino food lover.

Seriously.

I prefer Italian or Japanese or Chinese (in that order) cuisine more than anything in this world. My parents, in stark contrast, would always choose a Filipino restaurant whenever we dine together if given a chance. In fact, yesterday's Sunday lunch was no different. Only this time, it was my sister who decided which Filipino resto we'd go to.

Kanin Club

It was also her first time to try what this place has to offer since their first branch is located at Paseo de Sta. Rosa in Laguna. Yes, you read that right. That far. According to her, food here is so good that others would really go out of their way for a visit. Good thing the owners decided to put up a branch near us at UP-Ayala Land Technohub - some place more accessible to us who live in the north.

Since it was my sister who knew more about this, we gave her the liberty to decide what to order.
Kanin Club: Crispy Beef Salad & Itsi-Bitsi

1. Crispy Beef Salad (Php246) - strings of crispy beef with tomatoes, onions and cilantro drenched in vinaigrette instantly became a hit even to me (except I had to take out the cilantro as I am not a fan).

2. Itsi Bitsi (Php224) - the name is actually a derivation of the 3 green vegetables included in this dish: itsi(taw) bit(suelas)si(garilyas). The veggies were sauteed and mixed with beef strips. I was partial to this because I'm eating more veggies lately plus I love sigarilyas. :)

Kanin Club: Sinigang na Sinangag & Seafood Kare-Kare

3. Sinangag na Sinigang (Php224) - recommended by many is this fried rice that is sinigang-flavored. True enough, you'd find the staple ingredients found in a sinigang and taste that sour flavor, too. A single order was good enough for us 5 (maybe because we also ordered brown rice).

4. Seafood Kare-Kare (Php298) - mussels, squid, and prawns in peanut sauce with bagoong on the side. A little too oily for my taste.

Kanin Club: Crispy Dinuguan

5. Crispy Dinuguan (Php261) - another must-try according to most people is this diniguan (or stewed pork blood) with the pork being crispy. I may be the only person in our family who doesn't like dinuguan, but hearing of a crispy dinuguan made me curious and made me eat more than I thought I would. [I thought of Rai while eating this and how he might like this too, because I know how much he likes dinuguan (partnered with puto)].

After being impressed by the Filipino dishes with a twist served to us here, I think I just might give this cuisine a chance. (If you didn't get it yet, I'm saying Kanin Club is indeed worth visiting).

Kanin Club
Ground Level, U.P. Ayala Land Technohub
Commonwealth Ave., Diliman, Quezon City
332-5978

2 comments:

joyjoy said...

waaaam i wanna try this resto also! Remember i even suggested this place kaso nga lang their branch is in Alabang pa at wala pa sa Commonwealth. hehe!

ji said...

i remember you suggesting this one joy! tara, let's go one time or you and mon can always go din naman :)